Being a new parent is an exciting and fulfilling experience, but it can also be physically demanding. After giving birth, your body needs time to heal and regain strength before jumping back into a regular exercise routine. This is where resistance Pilates comes in! Not only is it gentle on the body, but with the Corefirst System, it's also one of the most effective ways for new moms to strengthen their core muscles and improve overall fitness levels. Keep reading to find out why Corefirst Resistance Pilates should be at the top of every new mom's workout regimen!
BENEFITS OF COREFIRST RESISTANCE BAND PILATES FOR PREGNANCY AND POSTPARTUM
The revolutionary Corefirst resistance bands are at the top of the market when it comes to safety, accessibility, and professional, comprehensive Pilates programming. With its ability to conform to your unique abilities and fitness levels, you can meet your body where it is NOW and modify the movements to fit your needs- it can range from a piece of high-powered cardio equipment to a meditative stretching tool! This makes it a fantastic option for pregnant and postpartum individuals. The Corefirst 'grows' with you and, whether it's assisting with alleviating back pain (we even wrote a blog about it) & building core strength or being incorporated as a postpartum therapeutic routine, it adapts to each fitness need. There are numerous benefits to beginning a resistance Pilates routine with Corefirst, including:
- Helping to improve posture and alignment by strengthening the core muscles, thus supporting the back and preventing injuries.
- Boosts mental health and stress levels due to controlled, intentional breathing practices.
- Balance and coordination are continuously worked on in each session.
- It can be done at home with minimal equipment and in as short as a 15-minute workout, making it convenient for busy parents!
- Provides controlled, low-impact, assistive movements and can easily be modified to adapt to all fitness levels and concerns.
THERAPEUTIC PHYSICAL BENEFITS OF COREFIRST RESISTANCE PILATES
Exercise and moving your body before, during, and after pregnancy is imperative for a healthy mental and physical state. In addition to strength and cardiovascular benefits, resistance Pilates also works as an assistive, therapeutic mechanism. Let's say you're struggling to do a sit-up. By using the Corefirst Heavy Resistance Bands, there will be more tension working in opposition to assist in "pulling you up" in that sit-up, compared to using a Corefirst Light Resistance Band where more of the effort is your own.
A weak core can cause all sorts of problems, including incontinence, pelvic floor dysfunction, and low back pain. Our exercises will strengthen your deep abdominal muscles and help “turn on” your transverse abdominis (TA), which is the muscle that provides support for your spine and pelvis. You’ll be amazed at how much better you feel – both physically and mentally – when your core is strong and stable! This strength enhances posture, balance, and alignment, enabling your body to spread force and strain through the muscles instead of the spine. Not only does this prevent fatigue and discomfort in the back/neck area, but it also enhances flexibility and mobility in the spine, meaning you can move through activities that could otherwise aggravate pain. Examples of these include lifting children or making jerky reactive movements.
Poor posture is one of the most common complaints we hear from new moms. Carrying around a baby all day (whether in the womb or in your arms) can lead to muscular imbalances and pains, particularly in the back and shoulders. Corefirst Resistance Pilates classes are designed specifically to correct these imbalances and help alleviate pain by targeting the deep, stabilizing muscles of the core and "zipping it up" like a corset to better protect the spine and support the alignment of the body.
MENTAL HEALTH & FINDING TIME FOR FITNESS
Finding “me” time is a continuous struggle for new parents when a little one is first introduced into the family. It's imperative to carve out time from your new chaotic schedule to find ways small ways to boost mental health and mind-body connection during this rapid season of change. This one small thing you can do for yourself will make all the time you do have with your baby all that more present and special.
The lateral breathing practice in Pilates works to focus on breathing from your ribcage, rather than belly breathing. Focusing on consciously inhaling and exhaling through your movements allows you to easily calm the mind and heart rate, while also activating the appropriate muscles.
With pregnancy and postpartum, there are so many aspects of your life and schedule that change drastically. Having a reliable and efficient workout routine that you can do from home regularly is a great way to incorporate some normalcy and control into your daily routine, which leads to less anxiety and increase mood levels. The Corefirst training platform provides well-rounded resistance Pilates video programming in as little as 15 minutes; a perfect amount of time to easily fit into your day! A fiercely-focused 15 minutes really CAN improve your overall fitness and mental health, and many times, it can be done while the baby is giggling in their bouncy chair next to you! Not only are you taking the time to actively honor yourself and your health, but also contributing to more quality time with your family. You’re giving yourself and them the best version of YOU!
Check out our Pilates Starter Program for the most innovative 15-Minute workouts in our Collection!
SAFETY TIPS FOR NEW MOMS
Going through pregnancy, birth, and postpartum can be very scary and an overall rollercoaster. With so many changes, it's easy to be weary of starting new things and be concerned about how it may affect you while you're feeling sore, tired, and achy. However, resistance Pilates really is the key to improving many of these physical and mental concerns.
Corefirst Resistance bands stand apart from the competition with their revolutionary grip-free neoprene wraps, which auto-adjust to fit around your wrist, ankle, foot, and palm – allowing you to focus on your core and form, without worrying about them slipping off or having to hold on. Our wraps are soft, washable, and custom-fit to your body, while our resistance bands are made of commercial-grade materials created with a patented Safety Sleeve technology that ensures your safety. To top it off, they have been third-party tested and proven to last 15x longer compared to standard bands out there.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using the Corefirst:
- Make sure the resistance bands are securely anchored. There are dozens of ways to attach the Corefirst to your home. To name a few, you can attach to a door, a railing, a banister, a pole, a post, a heavy piece of furniture, a coffee table, a couch, a bed, or anything heavy! It just needs to weigh more than 40 lbs. Run into an anchoring question? Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com or check out our anchoring videos!
- Start slowly and utilize modifications. Our professional instructors have hundreds of hours of training for multiple certifications (both in Pilates and other fitness methods) and decades of experience working directly with clients- especially pregnant and postpartum individuals. They take into great consideration the wide range of clients joining them in the studio, and we make it a point to describe and demonstrate modifications in detail during every workout. Looking for additional modifications? Comment directly on the video and a Corefirst expert will respond within the day!
- Don't skip the warm-up and cool down! Each Corefirst workout incorporates a short warmup and breathing exercise that helps you to center yourself mentally and warm up key muscle groups. Not only does this help to prevent injuries, but allows you to maximize your workout benefits.
- Wear comfortable clothing that won't restrict any movements and drink plenty of water!
- Of course, if you feel pain at any time during your workout, stop immediately and consult your doctor.
Not feeling up to a workout? Check out our Stretch Program!
Corefirst Resistance Pilates is a great form of exercise for new moms, helping them to build strength and balance in an easy-to-follow and low-impact way. The Corefirst provides safety-tested and commercial-grade materials, as well as programming led by top Pilates professionals in a portable and easily accessible way. With a variety of workout and purchasing options, the versatility of use, and benefits for both body and mind, Corefirst is the perfect way to regain mobility (and sanity) after childbirth. Grab those bands today – you deserve it!